MDP Fellows share project research at symposium
By Sharon Henry
"Biofeedback-Mediated Video Game: An Intervention to Improve
Emotion Self-Regulation Skills in Children with Autism,"
presented by Kim Zhang, Yiteng Zhang, Marcella Digel, Lisa Harvey
Irvine, May 24, 2016 — This year's Multidisciplinary Design Program (MDP) student-fellows met Saturday, May 21, to present their design projects at a Symposium held in the Calit2 auditorium.
Sixty-six undergraduate students were selected to participate in 13 projects, mentored by 41 faculty and graduate student project leads.
MDP engages UCI undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines in five-member design teams, co-mentored by at least two faculty mentors from different schools. Participants have the opportunity to choose from a variety of innovative and creative design projects related to the areas of energy, the environment, healthcare, and culture.
Now in its sixth year, the program is designed to help students develop the multidisciplinary skills and knowledge that will propel them into graduate studies or careers in fields that explore the connections between different concentrations.
MDP teams spent the winter and spring quarters conducting research and working on their design projects.
2016 MDP PROJECTS
- Making Plastic Printing Sustainable
- Playful Fabrication: Envisioning the Future of 3D Printing
- A Novel Quantitative EEG Approach for Continuous
- Monitoring and Tracking of Coma Recovery
- Design of a Fully Implantable Brain-Computer Interface System
- Design of a Water Distribution System and Educational Plan for Improving the Health of the Malagasy Living in Maventibao, Madagascar
- Incorporation of Nanopatterns onto Curved Artificial Cornea Devices and Testing of Durability
- Integration of Biofeedback into a Video Game to Improve Emotion Self-Regulation Skills in Children with Autism
- MediCom: Comprehensive, Intuitive and Interactive View of Health Aspects to Improve Medication Compliance
- Microfluidic Platform for Processing and Recovering Regenerative Cells from Fat
- Modeling of the Vestibular System
- Orthogonal—Experimental Ocean Going Sailcraft Based on Micronesian Designs (Design and Build)
- Physiological and Behavioral Regulation in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder in the Context of the Strange Situation: An Innovative Dynamic
- Virtual Language Immersion in Foreign Language Courses through Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming Communities
- Nurse and Parent Training in Postoperative Stress (NP-TIPS)
Students interested in participating in the 2017 Multidisciplinary Design Program can find information at; http://www.urop.uci.edu/mdp.html.
-- Sharon Henry